Welcome Here!

Hi there! My name is Bree-Ann and I've started this blog to write about what I do and what I love: being a doula and being a mother. I am not the greatest of writers nor do I get around to posting as often as I hope but I try my best. So I hope you enjoy and possibly learn something every once in a while. If you're in the Winnipeg area and you're looking for a doula, or if you have questions about doulas, please feel free to contact me at the email address provided on the right.


Hope to see you soon!

-Bree-Ann CD(DONA)

Saturday 18 January 2014

Diane's Beautiful Birth Story

Hello again and happy weekend! I thought I would help you start your weekend off full of happy thoughts with another beautiful birth story. This is a post written by Diane who recently gave birth to her first baby. Her labour and birth was absolutely beautiful. Diane's ability to keep calm and maintain control and focus was nothing short of amazing. She is such an inspiration. This was one of those births that I wish every woman could witness - it was the kind of birth that would wipe out any fear and anxiety a mother has towards her labour and ability to birth her baby. Diane prepared for her labour and surrounded herself with positive encouraging support and began the process with confidence in herself and her body's ability and it truly showed in her birth. Her lack of fear allowed her body overflow with endorphins (which, by the way are 200 times stronger than morphine!!) which let her body labour quickly and with greater ease. Diane is a Wonder Woman! Thank you for sharing your beautiful experience with me Diane!      


Photo provided by family
"As soon as I got over the initial excitement and nervousness of being pregnant, I knew that I wanted to get a doula. I had heard about doulas from a few friends who said it was the best decision they ever made. I thought that it would be difficult to convince my husband that this was something we should spend money on but he was on board from the start.  We decided to ask my friend Bree-Ann to be our doula.  A few people thought it was a little weird to have a friend as a doula, but I knew Bree-Ann’s calm and rational personality was exactly what I would need.
Our little guy Benjamin surprised us all by arriving just over 2 weeks early.  After my last day of work, I had big plans of relaxing while my husband was at an office party. In fact I had big plans of accomplishing a lot during the 2 weeks off work so that I would be totally ready for our baby.  But my little guy didn’t seem to care about all my plans and decided he was eager to meet us.  One of the biggest reasons I wanted a doula was that I knew no matter how many classes we took and how many books I read there was no way I could know what to expect when the big day arrived since this was something I have never experienced before. When things got started that evening I was pretty unsure that I was actually in labour.  I kept thinking that it was too early and I was just leaking a little (my water couldn’t have broken!), and those were just really bad Braxton Hicks contractions.  I called Bree-Ann and she answered my questions and told me this could be the real deal.
Little Ben (Photo provided by family)
 In the middle of the night when the contractions started to get bad my husband called Bree-Ann and she came over to our house.  Bree helped with massaging and keeping me calm while my husband rushed around the house packing our bags and getting ready to leave. Once we got to the hospital things started to progress faster and I began to doubt my plans to have no pain medication.  I felt like there was no way I was strong enough to continue and that I was not ready for this.  Bree-Ann helped me to find my strength, to stay calm and to breathe. She helped me to focus and trust my body to do what it is supposed to do without any medication.  Both my husband and I were so happy to have Bree-Ann at our son’s birth." 
Happy Family (Photo provided by family)

No comments:

Post a Comment